More school bells are ringing in an unprecedented year of facility openings, with more still on the way this year, says Calgary’s public school board.
Over the last two months, the Calgary Board of Education has opened five new schools, one replacement school and completed a modernization project. This school year so far has seen 15 new facilities welcome students, with three more set to open in the next few weeks.
This is an exciting time for students and staff as they settle into their new schools that are full of light, open and adaptable spaces and equipped with modern technology and furniture.
Prior to their openings, educators and students set to attend the new facilities had been operating under a “school within a school” model since the beginning of the year, allowing them to form communities in existing schools before making the move en masse.
Along with the three schools to open early this year, the 18 new facilities provide space for 6,000 students, primarily in swiftly growing suburban communities.
The price tag for the new schools and modernizations on the CBE wish list is more than $500 million.
The public board is at various stages of building five more new schools, as well as two major modernization projects at James Fowler and Lord Beaverbrook high schools.
By 2018, the province is to complete 46 new Calgary schools and modernization projects.
CBE schools that have opened in the 2016-2017 school year:
- Auburn Bay School Grades, K-4 (Auburn Bay)
- Copperfield School Grades, K-4 (Copperfield)
- Kenneth D. Taylor School Grades, K-4 (Evanston)
- New Brighton School Grades, K-4 (New Brighton)
- William D. Pratt School Grades, Gr. 4-9 (Royal Oak)
- Nelson Mandela High School, Gr. 10-12 (Saddle Ridge)
- Peter Lougheed School Grades, Gr. 5-9 (Saddle Ridge)
- Buffalo Rubbing Stone School Grades, K-4 (Panorama Hills)
- Jack James High School (modernization)
- Bowness High School (modernization)
- Dr. Roberta Bondar School, K-6 (Aspen Woods)
- Dr. George Stanley School, Gr. 4-9 (Cranston)
- Eric Harvie School, K-4 (Tuscany)
- Hugh A. Bennett School, K-4 (Saddle Ridge) – opened in December, ahead of schedule
- West Ridge School, Gr. 5-9 (West Springs/Cougar Ridge)
- Aboriginal Learning Centre, Pre-K-3 (modernization)
- Christine Meikle School, Gr. 7-12 (replacement)
CBE schools set to be opened in the coming weeks:
- McKenzie Highlands School, Gr. 4-9 (McKenzie Towne)
- Dr. Martha Cohen School, Gr. 5-9 (Copperfield/New Brighton)
- Elbow Park, K-6 (replacement)
CBE schools still under construction:
- Marshall Springs School, Gr. 4-9 (Evergreen)
- Griffith Woods School, K-9 (Springbank Hill/Discovery Ridge)
- Manmeet Singh Bhullar School, K-5 (Martindale)
- Ron Southern School, K-4 (Silverado)
- New Southeast high school, Gr. 10-12 (Seton)
- James Fowler high school (modernization)
- Lord Beaverbrook high school (modernization)